“How is the freshman class?” is a question I’m never sure how to respond to. Sometimes I answer with numbers, because I’m something of a data geek. In that case, I might say that this year’s ninth graders include 46 girls and 41 boys. They come from 38 different middle schools, including 20 students who are the only representatives from their middle schools. Sometimes I might describe the class by their shared passions. Before this school year began, I noted that the Class of 2016 had many very talented athletes, was super smart and curious (even by our standards), and was filled with kind, good-hearted young people. But the person behind the question “How is the freshman class?” is usually asking about their well-being. Now that they are here, I can say that this is a happy, joyous bunch. While it’s true that the novelty of starting high school hasn’t worn off, and there is much hard work yet to be done, I can practically feel the positive energy and excitement from this group. It all started off at the ninth-grade retreat in August. You can see for yourself what a good time they had!
- Today, College Prep hosted a professional development writing workshop run by the Bard College Institute for Writing & Thinking. 6 days ago
- Student-led letter writing campaign in protest of gun violence. 1 week ago
- College Prep students and faculty walk out in memory of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting... fb.me/88r6XpUw6 1 week ago
- Students name the Parkland victims, one a minute for 17 minutes #ParklandStrong #NeverAgainIsNow https://t.co/mMjCFDr2ru 1 week ago
- College Prep students and faculty walk out and stage a die in. #neveragain #ParklandStrong https://t.co/WRj85TZ1Zm 1 week ago